Sunday, September 1, 2013

Brugge, Belgium


I must admit...I have never been interested in Belgium. It just wasn't on my to do list. Today after returning home to Germany from Brugge, Belgium I must say, it is my favorite city in the world (so far). Sometimes refered to as "Venice of the North" Brugge is a shockingly preserved medieval city in which beautiful canals run through. From our wonderfully located hotel (Hotel Prinsenhof which I HIGHLY recommend, look at Trip Advisor reviews and BELIEVE the hype) we could walk to everything we wanted to see, easily. The truth is we didn't know what we wanted to see. Immediately after arriving in the city my husband and our son spent 4 hours simply wondering the city and stumbling upon wonder after wonder. The Market is home to a HUGE and gorgeous church and many restaurants. This area was the busiest we encountered. 




The nearby Burg was my husbands favorite area of town

The best part of Brugge was that you could simply wander and be sure to encounter something beautiful. We were recommended a restaurant just off the square where I had the best chicken I have ever tasted, and I eat ALOT of chicken (like seriously, I need to start being more adventurous). In the morning we ate Belgian waffles from a stand also near the hotel. They were even more delicious than expected. Common things "touristy" things to do in Brugge include a boat ride through the canals and carriage rides through the streets (which are almost all cobblestone). We did neither on this short trip, but definitely plan to in the future. I could go on and on about Brugge and will likely add to this in the future :D 

& yes the beer and chocolate are amazing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment